Chemical Free Makeup List
You're in the right place if you're looking for a chemical free makeup list.
When I developed Jennifer Lynn Naturals makeup with organic ingredients, I wanted the formula to include as few ingredients as possible that still offered the best performance (as a former Makeup Artist, this was extremely important).
You have no idea how hard it is to get a cosmetic chemist to NOT use synthetic harsh chemicals. If you don't believe these are the facts, just Google Canada and Europe's regulations on cosmetics. Sure to open your eyes, I know it did for me.
If you don't believe these are the facts, just Google Canada and Europe's regulations on cosmetics. Sure to open your eyes, I know it did for me.
After months and months of arguing with American cosmetic chemists, I got it and now you do too!
Now, you absolutely could get in your kitchen and start making your own natural cosmetics...that's what I did initially. But after learning of the potential for mold, etc. I knew I had to find someone who really knew the science inside and out.
With the use of special preservative system made from organic certified, natural ingredients, you get the best of both worlds: safer natural beauty products with great performance.
Here’s the nitty gritty list of ingredients to avoid when choosing a lip product, along with information about why they’re not so good for your health! If you already have a high toxic load, like I do, these are the last things you want to be "eating" every day. As our line grows, so will this list!
- Parabens- Known to be toxic, yet used as a preservative to extend shelf life. May cause allergic reactions
- Synthetic Fragrance/Parfum, even "unscented"- May cause headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, vomiting, skin irritation, etc. Catch all phrase that hides as many as 200 ingredients. Companies don't have to expose what these are as long as they use this term.
- Propylene Glycol- Known toxin. Usually is combined with a synthetic humectant mix, which is what makes it not so good.
- Vitamin A (listed as retinol, retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate)
- PEG/ceteareth/polyethylene- synthetic chemicals that contain harmful impurities known to be carcinogenic. Yes, that means cancer.
- Petrolatum- Mineral Oil Jelly. Can cause photosensitivity. Can lead to chapped lips and reduce moisture as it messes with the body's own natural moisturizing system (aka sebum). Has no place in lip products.
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)- Endocrine Disruptors and linked to cancer.
- DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine, quaternium-15, and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
- Dibutyl Phthalate: Suspected endocrine disruptor and reproductive toxicant
- Heavy Metals: Look out for: lead acetate, chromium, thimerosal, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, sodium hexametaphosphate. Note: products that contain contaminant metals will not list them on ingredient labels - Check this out to learn more about harsh cosmetic chemicals
To learn why these harsh chemicals are even in beauty products watch this video:
For more information and tips for finding safer cosmetics and personal care products check out Breast Cancer Prevention Partners.